The world of football is not that disconnected from sports supplements. For years, medical services and physical trainers have included a series of key supplements in the preparation and recovery of players, especially at critical moments of the season, that is, where the greatest number of matches are played.
If all athletes combine correct training and diet with sports supplementation, why wouldn’t footballers do the same?
What are football’s requirements?
Football is a sport watched by millions of people, not only in terms of practice, but in terms of media and amateur fan following too.
Does that mean that football is somehow different from other sports in its parameters with regard to sports supplementation? No! We simply need to know which supplements are ideal for the specific demands football makes on a player.
The footballer always seeks to improve their strength, endurance and especially post-game recovery!
What do footballers take before a game?
On seeking maximum performance and the delaying of fatigue for as long as possible, a footballer has a series of supplements available that improve their attention, as well as help them reach their maximum power potential.
The first option is creatine, a product little recognized in the football world, but which has been used for decades in professional locker rooms.
Football is considered a endurance sport, but one that includes repetitive explosive exercises. In other words, your muscles need to make a quick recovery between sprints to continue boosting maximum performance during the match.
For this reason, the creatinine stores in your muscles need to be kept constant. Give your rapid fibres the ideal level of creatine!
In second place is caffeine, a supplement that should also be seriously considered by footballers. We often see how professional footballers arrive at the stadium drinking coffee, usually hours before actually starting the game.
Different studies have shown that moderate caffeine intake before matches has a positive effect in several aspects of our physical performance.
These factors include delaying the onset of fatigue, in addition to stimulating the central nervous system.
What other supplements can you combine caffeine with?
It is a substance that can be combined with food supplements, giving us effective formulas for sports performance.
The last possibility is to get them by taking them with electrolytes or mineral salts, ensuring excellent hydration, while also obtaining the energy necessary to achieve maximum performance. In the latter case, it is usually used as a pre-workout or competition and even during the course of physical exercise.
View this post on Instagram
🤔¿Sabías que podrías morir de deshidratación aunque estuvieras bebiendo agua de forma constante durante un esfuerzo físico muy intenso? ¡Sí, sí, como lo oyes! ¿Por qué? 🔹Los electrolitos que se encuentran en nuestra sangre y que perdemos a través del sudor son los principales causantes de la deshidratación. 🔹Si no los reponemos, corremos el riesgo de sufrir calambres e incluso exponernos a afecciones mucho más graves. 🔹El consumo de agua durante el ejercicio intenso, si no añadimos electrolitos, puede agravar la situación, al diluir las pocas sales minerales que nos quedan en una mayor cantidad de agua, lo que genera un mayor desequilibrio. ¿Y cómo se soluciona esto? Te damos dos opciones 😉 💨 Para los espíritus libres: Evolytes: electrolitos y nada más. Si vas de tranqui y quieres evitar la deshidratación, ¡es el tuyo! 🐯 Para las almas salvajes: Evolytes Plus +: electrolitos con un punch justo de cafeína. ¿Vas a machacar tus marcas hoy? ¡Toque extra de energía! ¿Y tú, de qué lado estás? #RunningFree #RunningWild
Protein shakes in football
Protein shakes are generally the supplements used for muscle recovery after training or games. It’s important to bear in mind that a contribution of the optimal levels of daily protein intake (even greater in the case of athletes), will not only give vital help for the maintenance and gain of muscle mass; it will also help rebuild muscle fibres after doing physical exercise.
Achieve the ideal post-game recovery with a whey protein shake!
In the case of football, we’re talking about a high intensity and long duration sport (in most cases a match lasts longer than 90 minutes), and therefore, it’s also important to seek carbohydrate intake when finishing a match, which will help you to recover any glycogen you may have lost.
Nighttime use of casein
It’s also worth remembering that protein shakes are not only ideal for taking after training sessions or games, considering that the medical and nutritionist services of professional football clubs often recommend drinking them before going to bed.
Another of the football supplements that you can include in your nutrition plan is amylopectin.
Haven’t got a clue what this product is? Here we will try to fill you in on all the details.
Can you combine amylopectin with protein in your post-training phase? Absolutely! In fact it is the most recommended thing to do within the so-called metabolic window, enabling you to to recharge glycogen reserves, in addition to rebuilding muscle fibers which are always damaged after a highly demanding, long duration training session.
Vitamins for footballers
Vitamins are the fundamental basis for every athlete, not just footballers.
The thing to remember is that football generates a series of free radicals in your body due to physical wear and effort. Therefore, the best thing you can do is ensure multivitamin intake that will provide you with adequate levels of vitamins C and E.
View this post on Instagram
¿Por Qué los Deportistas deberían Tomar Evovits? 🔸 Mayor desgaste físico 🔸 Pérdida de vitaminas y minerales través del sudor 🔸 Mayor aporte calórico 🔸 Refuerzo antioxidante 🔸 Deficiencias nutricionales 🔸 Precariedad nutricional de los alimentos hoy día. . . . #hsn #hsnsports #evovits #multivitaminico #vitaminas #minerales #antioxidante #deportistas #salud #nutrientes
Omega 3 Fish Oil
Different studies and research carried out on elite footballers have demonstrated that use of Omega 3 DHA/EPA Fish Oil promotes anti-inflammatory action, thus reducing pain caused by physical exertion. They also improve cardiovascular health.
Now you know which supplements you should think about taking if you play football. But always remember that none of these supplements replace any food, but are a complement to a proper diet and daily physical exercise.
What does this really mean? That DHA could be a beneficial supplement when doing sports where decision making and reaction time efficiency are important.
- Mielgo-Ayuso J, Calleja-Gonzalez J, Del Coso J, Urdampilleta A, León-Guereño P, Fernández-Lázaro D. Caffeine Supplementation and Physical Performance, Muscle Damage and Perception of Fatigue in Soccer Players: A Systematic Review. Nutrients. 2019 Feb 20;11(2). pii: E440. doi: 10.3390/nu11020440.
- Salinero JJ, Lara B, Del Coso J. Effects of acute ingestion of caffeine on team sports performance: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Res Sports Med. 2019 Apr-Jun;27(2):238-256. doi: 10.1080/15438627.2018.1552146. Epub 2018 Dec 5.
- Abbott W, Brett A, Cockburn E, Clifford T. Presleep Casein Protein Ingestion: Acceleration of Functional Recovery in Professional Soccer Players. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2019 Mar 1;14(3):385-391. doi: 10.1123/ijspp.2018-0385. Epub 2019 Feb 17.
- Bezuglov E, Tikhonova A, Zueva A, Khaitin V, Lyubushkina A, Achkasov E, Waśkiewicz Z, Gerasimuk D, Żebrowska A, Nikolaidis PT, Rosemann T, Knechtle B. The Dependence of Running Speed and Muscle Strength on the Serum Concentration of Vitamin D in Young Male Professional Football Players Residing in the Russian Federation. Nutrients. 2019 Aug 21;11(9). pii: E1960. doi: 10.3390/nu11091960.
- Guzmán JF, Esteve H, Pablos C, Pablos A, Blasco C, Villegas JA. DHA- Rich Fish Oil Improves Complex Reaction Time in Female Elite Soccer Players. J Sports Sci Med. 2011 Jun 1;10(2):301-5. eCollection 2011.
- Philpott JD, Donnelly C, Walshe IH, MacKinley EE, Dick J, Galloway SDR, Tipton KD, Witard OC. Adding Fish Oil to Whey Protein, Leucine, and Carbohydrate Over a Six-Week Supplementation Period Attenuates Muscle Soreness Following Eccentric Exercise in Competitive Soccer Players. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2018 Jan 1;28(1):26-36. doi: 10.1123/ijsnem.2017-0161. Epub 2018 Jan 25.
- Get to know the benefits of Evolytes and Evolytes Plus: differences and use. Click here
- Learn to take the perfect dose of caffeine for maximum sports performance. Here