Boron has been forsaken for many years. However, there have been several studies recently which have proven the benefits of this product for our health. In fact, they support adding it to our diet regularly.
What is Boron?
Boron is a trace element that has many important benefits for our health as long as we take it in very low amounts. It is present in certain fruits and vegetables (which is from where borax is obtained). We have to consume these products if we want to benefit from all the advantages that we are going to see now. We want to highlight its importance when it comes to supporting those who suffer bone problems or diseases. Thanks to its great supply of calcium, magnesium or amino acids.
In general, there are foods that are rich in boron such as whole grains, nuts and avocados. As well as fruits like berries, plumbs, oranges and grapes. We can also find lower doses of boron in products like water.
The boron from foods is mainly used to obtain boric acid, a substance that can be naturally found only in plants (which contains nutrients like calcium, magnesium and amino acids at the same time).
What are the Properties of Boron?
In the past, many nutritionists regarded boron just as another mineral added to water that was only useful or essential for plants (also obtained from another mineral like borax). However, it has been recently proven that it is actually a nutritious product with amino acids that, like other more well-known minerals, plays a very important role in our diet, like other ingredients.
Some of these properties are:
- Helping to lower a high blood pressure
- Being involved in the maintenance and proper development of the bones thanks to its richness in calcium
- Enhancing our defenses, by improving the response of our immune system (amino acids)
- Producing a relaxing effect on the muscles, it is even better than other products that have been designed especially for this
More Benefits of Boron
Even though it is constantly being studied, the research has discovered that boron can be good for:
- Improving the muscle recovery, since it has proven that it is capable of shortening the post-workout recovery. It prevents the discomfort and pain, increases the muscle mass and keeps the bones healthy due to elements like calcium
- Balancing the hormone levels both in men and women. In the case of women, it has the ability to relieve the menstrual symptoms
- There are studies that link boron to a better functioning of the brain, helping to enhance the concentration, focus and learning ability
- These products have the ability to prevent or treat skin infections
Do you want to purchase boron supplements? Click here and check our catalog at HSN
Boron can also cause problems
An excessive consumption of foods that are rich in boron can be harmful for our health. Some of the side effects of this element can be: nausea, stomach discomfort, vomits, diarrhea, skin problems, anxiety or depression.
How much Boron do I need to take in order to obtain its benefits?
Many nutritionist advise that, since it is a trace element, the dose of boron should range between 0.5 and 1mg daily. It is believed that lethal doses of boron could range from 15 to 20g daily in adults and 3 to 6g in babies. However, there are many studies that have found a very low or null toxicity of this compounds at these levels or even more.
Unlike other minerals, we have to take into account that boron has not yet been studied in depth by specialized doctors and nutritionists. Although the number of research has increased in the last few years, especially those that state that it is an essential nutrient for life. That is why there are still not a real recommended dose of boron.
- Amino Acids - We tell you how and when to take them
- Foods rich in Amino Acids