- 2g of Methylsulfonylmethane per dose
- 1 dose equals 2 vegetable capsules
- Suitable for vegans/vegetarians
What is MSM?
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) by Now Foods is a supplement made of Methylsulfonylmethane.
MSM is regarded as the best source of natural sulfur.
What are the properties of Methylsulfonylmethane?
Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a very popular ingredient that is commonly used due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
This ingredient has tested on animals and humans. Multiple studies show that MSM supplementation can relieve the inflammation, joint/muscle pain, oxidative stress, while improving the antioxidant capacity.
As a Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) substance, MSM is well tolerated by most people in doses of up to 4 grams a day. The following review provides an general overview on MSM, with details about its most common uses and applications as a dietary supplement, as well as its safety. (1)
MSM and antioxidant activity
The next review sums up a study in which MSM has proven to have anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidant mechanisms in humans. (2)
MSM and pain
Osteoarthritis (OA) is the most common form of arthritis and the second most common cause of long-term disability among middle-aged and older adults. The following study proves that patients with knee osteoarthritis who took MSM for 12 weeks experienced an improvement in terms of the pain and physical function. (3)
MSM and Muscle damage
The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of taking methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) for exercise-induced muscle damage during 10 days. It seems that 10 days of MSM supplementation managed to reduce the muscle damage thanks to its antioxidant effects. (4)
How can we combine MSM?
You can combine it with Glucosamine sulfate, Chondroitin sulfate, Ginger Extract, Collagen, Hyaluronic Acid, Calcium or Magnesium, to name a few.
Who can benefit from this product?
- Athletes and active people.
- People who want to relieve the joint/muscle pain and inflammation.
- Those who want to improve their antioxidant capacity and reduce their oxidative stress.
1. Butawan M, Benjamin RL, Bloomer RJ. Methylsulfonylmethane: Applications and Safety of a Novel Dietary Supplement.Nutrients. 2017 Mar 16;9(3). pii: E290. doi: 10.3390/nu9030290.
2. Alternative Medicine Review Volume 8, Number 4 2003. Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). Monograph.
3. Debbi EM, Agar G, Fichman G, Ziv YB, Kardosh R, Halperin N, Elbaz A, Beer Y, Debi R. Efficacy of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Jun 27;11:50. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-11-50.
4. Barmaki S1, Bohlooli S, Khoshkhahesh F, Nakhostin-Roohi B. Effect of methylsulfonylmethane supplementation on exercise - Induced muscle damage and total antioxidant capacity. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2012 Apr;52(2):170-4.
|Daily doseper serving|
|Serving size: 2 veg caps|
|Daily dose: 4 veg caps|
|Servings per container: 60|