It is hard to find reasons why we should not eat this cereal. The truth is that we can add it to our daily diet without any issue, although it is advisable to eat other cereals as well in order to follow a balanced diet. It is also important to know how and when to eat oats.
If we had to choose, breakfast would be a perfect time to eat oats. It is when the organism is most willing to receive nutrients, especially energy, in order to face our daily tasks and to improve our health.
Oats are the cereal par excellence in order to obtain a source of fiber, vitamins, minerals and carbohydrates which are rich in beta glucans. This is why it is important to know when and how to eat oats correctly.
- 1. How should we consume oats?
- 2. How to combine Oats
- 3. When is the best time to eat oats
- 4. How much oats should we consume daily
- 5. What happens if we eat oats at night?
- 6. Oats for sportspeople, how to consume them
- 7. Recipe Tips: Oat Pancakes with banana and blueberries
- 8. Ingredients
- 9. How to make: Oat Pancakes with banana and blueberries
- 10. Related Entries:
How should we consume oats?
One of the main advantages of oats is that they can be eaten raw, boiled after being previously soaked, or with liquid. Now, we will see a varied selection of formulas and recipes so that eating this cereal does not become monotonous:
- Pancakes: they are an easy and quick recipe, we will need around 60g of oat flour (or ground flakes), six egg whites, a little bit of sweetener, a teaspoon of cinnamon and another one of saccharine. Mix the ingredients thoroughly and pour the blend on a pan with a little bit of olive oil. You can add anything you like to give your pancakes a personal touch (fruit, jam, fresh cheese… and endless world of possibilities). Here you have some Oat pancakes recipes to get started.
- Muesli: traditional muesli was named after a Swiss doctor, Bircher-Brenner, who created it at the beginning of the 20th century. It consists of combining oat flakes or oatmeal in a bowl, a selection of nuts of your choice, a quarter of lemon, a sliced apple, dry fruit or anything that you want. This will be our basic blend. Pour pour three spoonfuls of milk and three of honey in this bowl. That’s all you need to get a priceless breakfast. A balanced diet is not only what we eat, but also knowing how to eat it.
- Oat crepes: for example, we can cook them with a vegetables or meat stuffing. The basic recipe consists on two whole eggs, a cup of almond milk (although it does not have to be almond milk necessarily), around 50g of raw oats, butter, salt and a pinch of vanilla extract if we want sweet crepes.
- Yogurt with oats: We suggest, apart from mixing yogurt and a spoonful of oat flakes, to pour some honey and add any nuts that you may like.
- Oat Smoothies: we can use different fruits. The ingredients would be: half a cup of raw oats, a cup of sliced fruit, a cup of milk (any kind), a natural yogurt, vanilla extract and we can add table sugar or honey as sweeteners. We just need to blend all the ingredients with a blender and it will be ready.
- Oat water: boil two spoonfuls of whole grain oats for fifteen minutes in one liter of water. Afterwards, you just need to strain them and eat them once they are not too hot. You can also refrigerate this meal and eat it cold. It can be eaten at any time of the day and it has a laxative and diuretic effect, but you have to be persistent and consume it at least for a month. It provides satiety, which is why it is one of the best recipes to lose weight.
- Oat spread: we can also make a spread by boiling 3 spoonfuls of oat flakes for ten minutes in half a litre of water. Before it boils, add between 50 and 100g of finely cut vegetables, a spoonful of olive oil and salt. Blend everything and boil it for about two minutes.
- Güicoy pancakes (which is a vegetable that comes from a herbaceous plant of the cucurbits family to which other fruits belong, such as melon, watermelons or cucumbers) and oats with a parsley branch, onion, salt and pepper.
- Oat cake, a great solution for quality snacks in order to get rid of fast food. It is made with thin oat powder and a consistent coconut paste. Once they are both mixed, add some sugar cane syrup and splash the mixture with cardamom and cinnamon powder. Put the ingredients on a steamer in order to cook them and that is how we make our sweet and delicate cakes.
- Tortillas: but do not be fooled, they do not have egg! It is actually one of the easiest recipes to cook. First of all, heat butter, sugar, and honey until the former is melted and the sugar dissolves. Then, take a bowl and put the oats and some ground nuts, sliced fruit, ginger or coconut. Put all of this in a mould which has to be 2cm wide more or less, and put it in the oven until the edges get golden, which will preserve the softness in the center. Adding some fresh fruit or dry nuts is an excellent final touch for this dish.
If we have oat bran, the best option is to mix it with yogurt, kefir, or milk. This will be a perfect meal if we need to regulate our bowel transit and to lower the cholesterol levels.
There are some products like oat bread and oat cookies that are becoming more and more popular lately. You can easily cook whole oat bread at home with some cinnamon, nutmeg and, obviously, baking powder. You can add raisins, dry grapes, nuts and seeds if you want.
We tell you all the advantages and types of Oat Flour in the following entry.
How to combine Oats
We need to be careful if we plan to consume oats regularly, since we will need to drink a lot of water (around two liters per day). We also will need to limit those foods that are rich in fiber, since we could exceed the fiber threshold that can be tolerated by the organism. Otherwise, this could lead to digestive disorders in which our intestinal tract would be unable to absorb nutrients, which can result in some deficiencies.
Let’s pay attention to the extraordinary properties of a classic cup of oats and yogurt, which can help us lose weight and encourage the proper functioning of the heart. On its own, yogurt is an important source of proteins, calcium, zinc, vitamin A and complex B vitamins. Oats complete the picture by providing a source of carbohydrates as well as fats, most of them polyunsaturated, which are also the healthiest.
We can prepare excellent oat shakes with apple, banana, pear, toasted almonds and milk (four times more than oats). Drink them at any time of the day to give a healthy boost to your body. Use honey instead of sugar for a healthier shake. Half a cup of oats is enough for 2 cups of milk.
If you want to make some pancakes, you will need a cup of plain flour, half a cup of uncooked oat flakes, a cup of skimmed milk, one egg, a teaspoon of vegetable oil, a cup of blueberries, a banana, a teaspoon of nutmeg, one apple, chopped walnuts, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Add chocolate if you want them sweet or salt if you like them salty!
Another option would be cooking pancakes with egg white powder, whose protein has an excellent biological value and which is perfect to make purely anabolic breakfasts.
You can also use oats to thicken soups and sauces, as well as to give a firm texture to the pancakes that are used to prepare hamburgers.
Add oats to your salads in order to get a very tasty meal, once we have boiled the oats in water for half and hour, we can combine them with some sliced onions, tomatoes, beans, sprouts, potatoes, cucumber, lemon, salt and a touch of aromatic herbs such as mint and parsley.
You can even cook meat balls without meat. How? Using onion, spices, potatoes and rice milk. Add oat flakes to this blend and, with some patience, make little and homogeneous balls. Just like that, they are ready to be fried or baked in the oven.
When is the best time to eat oats
Oats can be eaten at any time, since they are known for the great balance that exists between their main nutrients (carbs, fats and proteins) and their weight.
If we want to eat them for dinner, it would be ideal to combine them with fruit, vegetables and skimmed milk or yogurt.
A way to consume it that is gaining more and more followers each day consists of drinking a glass of water little by little on an empty stomach, which is an effective way of activating the organism; then, drink a vegetable juice without fiber in order to detoxify the body. After 15 minutes, cook one of the previous recipes for breakfast and eat it!
We should bear in mind that there is a difference between those who do physical exercise and those who don’t.
- For those who don’t, it is advisable to eat oats only in the morning.
- For those who do, it is recommended to eat them twice, once in the morning and in the afternoon. You can even add a third serving half an hour before the workout if you train at night.
When should we eat oats in order to gain muscle mass
Eating oats in order to increase our muscle mass is a correct choice. In order to achieve this, we can eat it as a pre-workout so that we have enough energy and also as a post-workout to recover the glycogen (backup carbohydrates from muscle fibers) which has been spent during the workout session.
However, we should measure our energy requirements first, since it will only be possible to enhance the growth of muscle mass by producing a caloric surplus between the calories we take and the ones that are spent. The qualitative factor is also relevant: it is not the same to eat a determined number of calories from sugar, proteins or slow-absorption carbohydrates. The latter is much more beneficial for our health.
If we plan the intake properly, oats can become a great support in order to gain muscle; you just simply need to learn the doses and which are the best moments to take advantage of their virtues.
When should we consume oats in order to lose weight
One of the things that is indispensable in order to lose weight is to increase the metabolic rate through natural processes. Apart from ensuring easy digestions, oats can be a very efficient element to lose weight. In fact, those who suffer hypothyroidism and who, logically, need to stimulate their metabolism, are advised to consume oatmeal or oat flakes.
A very interesting and practical way to do this consists of drinking oat water regularly on an empty stomach. Put a cup of oats inside a shaker or a blender, a cinnamon stick, and two liters of water, shake until you get a homogeneous mixture. Strain it in order to remove any solids. Many people like to sweeten it with honey or stevia, the choice is yours.
Drinking oat water consistently for a month will help us lose some extra weight, as long as we do not follow counterproductive practices. Its function consists of prolonging a feeling of satiety while being full of the energy and fiber that our body demands for its proper functioning. Keep it on the fridge and drink a couple of glasses (a quarter of a liter) before the main meals from the afternoon onward.
We are going to suggest a diet plan to lose weight in which oat water is the axis:
- Breakfast: a glass of oat water, a piece of fruit (preferably an apple) and a cup of tea.
- Lunch: a glass of oat water before lunch, spinach and asparagus salad and grilled chicken breast fillet without oil.
- Afternoon snack: a cup of green tea.
- Dinner: a glass of oat water before eating. A combination of roasted aubergine and beetroot as the main dish, and baked apple with a bit of cinnamon for dessert.
Oat water provides excellent benefits if we truly want to lose weight, since it acts as a detoxifying, satiating, and diuretic agent. Moreover, oats have a lot of vitamins that we can include in our daily diet through several recipes.
How much oats should we consume daily
Most nutrition experts advise an intake of at least four spoonfuls of oatmeal daily. There is a super simple formula to do this, which consists of scattering it over vegetable and fruit salads or adding it to the dough of bakery products if we like cooking.
The World Health Organization (WHO), an international authority in this matter, recommends to consume at least between 25 to 30 grams of oats daily in order to get advantage of their benefits.
However, the amount of oats that has to be eaten for breakfast depends on our goals. Half a cup of oat flakes may just be enough if we simply want to stimulate our metabolism and stay fit. Oats expand after being boiled, increasing their volume up to three times.
There is no need to look for a special reason why we should eat oats. They are a product that should be consumed simply because of their richness in terms of nutrients and benefits for our health. It should be a must for those who are at risk of suffering cardiovascular diseases, such as high LDL cholesterol, hypertension or obesity.
As it usually happens with any food (and we could also apply this to any aspect of our lives), it is not positive to consume oats disproportionately. Despite all their benefits they are mainly a source of carbohydrates and our body would not be able to absorb all the energy from an uncontrolled intake of oats. This would end up leading to the formation of fat deposits, causing just the opposite effect to what we were looking for.
What happens if we eat oats at night?
We tend to be hungry at night, but we should remain cold-headed and put our digestive instincts under control. This is the only way to avoid eating what we should not and only the amounts that we should.
Dinner must consist of light foods in order to achieve a restful sleep, otherwise two things can happen: either the digestive system is forced to carry out an unnecessary effort, which can result in a bad digestion. Or, the fat that we eat will be deposited where it should not since we barely spend any energy while we sleep. This will result in an energy unbalance for our health and for our weight-loss objectives.
Consequently, we can claim that eating oats for dinner is a habit that can be more beneficial than harmful. There are a few simple ways of following this advice, for example: drink a bowl of oat water before dinner, prepare a salad with whole oat as the main ingredient along with some vegetables such as lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, and carrots.
For those who are not used to eating whole grain cereals and fibrous food during the day, eating oats for dinner can cause a readjustment in their nutrient levels which will result in a balanced diet.
Oats also have a series of disadvantages that have to be taken into account as well.
Oats for sportspeople, how to consume them
Far from being boring, oats are quite versatile and they can be added to a wide range of dishes so that you will not get tired or fall into traditional recipes:
- You can eat oats with milk or yogurt for breakfast.
- They can be combined with proteins.
- Make a shake with cow or soy milk, cinnamon, and even fruit juice.
- Add them to purees, salads, or even to substitute breadcrumbs.
A very quick choice is macerating oats: you just simply have to put the amount you will eat for breakfast in a bowl the night before, and fill it with water. Leave it in the fridge. Then, in the morning, you will only need to heat it or eat it like that, or even mix it with some proteins or a drink of your choice.
Recipe: Oat Pancakes with banana and blueberries
Delicious combination to start the day full of energy!
Recipe Tips: Oat Pancakes with banana and blueberries
- Preparation time: 3 minutes
- Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Portion size: 1 Pancake
- Number of servings: 3
- Cooking style: American
- 75g of Instant Oat Flour 2.0 by FoodSeries
- 1 banana
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 a cup of blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 pinch of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of Coconut Oil by BioSeries
- Caramel Syrup by FoodSeries
|Nutritional Information per serving|
|of which saturates:||4.5g|
|of which sugars:||7.6g|
How to make: Oat Pancakes with banana and blueberries
- Mix and blend all the ingredients, except for half a banana and the blueberries
- Add a little bit of oil to a non-stick pan and heat it. Add 1/3 of the previous mass and a handful of blueberries.
- Turn it after approximately one minute.
- To serve it, cut the rest of the banana and, optionally, we can add some caramel syrup by HSNfoods.