If you want to discover how to naturally raise growth hormones, this article will interest you.
Why do you want to keep growth hormone (GH) production high??
The GH («Growth Hormone») it is a poorly understood and highly desired hormone. It plays a key role in growth and metabolism.
In the area of nutrition and fitness this hormone is particularly attractive, and it’s no wonder:
- It is lipolytic, that is, it promotes fat oxidation.
- At the same time it is anabolic in muscle and other tissues. This does not happen with many hormones in the body, hence the popularity of GH.
- It is not only related to hypertrophy, but also to greater muscle strength.
- Higher GH levels means better recovery after injury (to some extent).
- Higher levels of GH in adulthood are associated with better quality of life and favourable body composition.
Do you understand its importance now?
Practice Intermittent Fasting
Fasting, in an acute way, stimulates the production of GH in humans (1).
The problem is that it is the longest fasts that raise the production of this hormone the most.
Thus, three days of fasting can produce 300% increments and increases of up to 1250% with one week of fasting have been described (2).
The intermediate alternative, therefore, is the intermittent fast, where 16, 18, 20 or 24 hours of fast intermittently and periodically will produce some elevation of GH.
The ways fasting raises GH are:
- Directly, because it is a hormone of the counter-regulation that is stimulated fasting.
- Indirectly, by lowering your body fat %.
- Indirectly, by eliminating blood glucose peaks that decrease endogenous GH secretion.
Maintain a good percentage of body fat
GH production is inversely proportional to fat, and especially visceral fat.
The same is true for IGF-1, another hormonal factor responsible for anabolism in multiple tissues.
A lot of sugar, a little GH
One of the major suppressive stimuli of GH hormone is hyper glycemia.
Frequent intakes of refined carbohydrates means almost constant hyper glycemia throughout your waking hours.
At a point in time, this may be insignificant.
For example, patients with diabetes have GH concentrations 3-4 times lower than healthy controls, although this depends of course on good or poor diabetes control (3).
You know what you have to do, remove simple sugars from your diet.
Don’t eat late
We are increasingly convinced that eating calories at night does nothing good for our metabolism.
This could be another good argument to support this hypothesis: GH has a pattern of night secretion.
As we have seen, one of the major suppressive stimuli of GH is hyper glycemia and a consequent hyper insulinemia.
This makes us think that an intake, especially a high carbohydrate intake, very close to bed can interfere with the natural secretion of GH, which also occurs mostly in the first 3-4 hours of sleep.
If you want to eat late, better to go for a low carb meal.
Beta-alanine is used to maximise sports performance in the high intensity setting by increasing levels of intramuscular carnosine, a pH buffer.
However, in this study, 4.8 grams of beta-alanine before training not only increased the number of repetitions performed, but also increased GH levels compared with the control group (4).
Melatonin to sleep
Melatonin is famous for its effects of improving the quality and amount of sleep.
Indirectly, this helps the natural secretion of GH, since sleep quality and GH production go hand in hand.
However, it seems that this antioxidant molecule also has a role in directly raising GH production, as this work reflects (5).
Start at the lower range and keep upping dosages to the desired effect.
And remember, more is not better.
After fasting, exercise performed at high intensity is probably the second largest stimulant in GH production.
Whenever we refer to the famous HIIT we mention the endocrine metabolic response generated, with greater secretion of certain hormones, including GH (6).
But not only does man live from HIIT. The intensity factor is also applicable to your room workouts..
As you have seen, raising your GH naturally in most situations means not reducing it with unhealthy habits, such as constantly taking simple sugars or being sedentary.
We’ll see you in the next post. A big hug!
- Ho KY, Veldhuis JD, Johnson ML, Furlanetto R, Evans WS, Alberti KGMM, et al. Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man. J Clin Invest. 1988.
- Kerndt PR, Naughton JL, Driscoll CE, Loxterkamp DA. Fasting: the history, pathophysiology and complications. Western Journal of Medicine. 1982.
- Hansen AP, Johansen K. Diurnal patterns of blood glucose, serum free fatty acids, insulin, glucagon and growth hormone in normals and juvenile diabetics. Diabetologia. 1970.
- Hoffman J, Ratamess NA, Ross R, Kang J, Magrelli J, Neese K, et al. β-alanine and the hormonal response to exercise. Int J Sports Med. 2008.
- Forsling ML, Wheeler MJ, Williams AJ. The effect of melatonin administration on pituitary hormone secretion in man. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 1999.
- Felsing NE, Brasel JA, Cooper DM. Effect of low and high intensity exercise on circulating growth hormone in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992.
- Natural Anabolics are supplements from herbal extracts that help optimise the hormonal environment. If you want to know more you can go to this post.
- What are the Supplements That Help Raise Growth Hormone Naturally? We tell you here.
- Glycine is an amino acid with important properties related to GH… continue reading.
How to raise GH - 100%
Healthy Habits - 100%
Training Intensity - 100%
Supplements - 100%