D-mannose is a natural alternative to treat urinary tract infections. It gets rid of the unpleasant symptoms of urine problems in a short period of time, without the side effects of antibiotics.
- 1 What is D-mannose?
- 2 Properties
- 3 Effects
- 4 D-mannose is advised for:
- 5 Natural Sources
- 6 What are the causes of a D-mannose deficiency?
- 7 Intake and administration
- 8 Dose of D-mannose
- 9 Who can benefit from D-mannose?
- 10 Opinion of nutritionist and dietitians:
- 11 Does D-mannose have side effects or contraindications?
- 12 Bibliography
- 13 Related Entries:
What is D-mannose?
D-mannose is a natural sugar that helps to heal the symptoms of an infection. It also has many preventive functions due to its special properties and it even supports those who suffer diabetes.
Urinary and bladder infections are the most common infectious diseases. Apart from pain, they also cause other problems with very unpleasant symptoms. Women undergo a higher risk of suffering cystitis or urine problems due to the fact that their urethra is shorter than that of men. A 70% of women suffer urinary infections or cystitis at least once in their life.
- Helping with the healing process of cystitis and bladder or urinary problems
- Supporting diabetic people as well
- Being completely harmless, even when we take it continuously or permanently
- All in all, being a completely safe substance that does not damage the good bacteria of our body
The escherichia coli bacteria cause most urinary infections. Said bacteria adhere to the surface of the urinary tract lining, triggering the inflammation and urine contamination.
This substance is much more effective than other products. Cranberry juice has been traditionally used to treat urine infections. However, D-mannose is much safer than other products, like antibiotics, since it does not have any side effects.
D-mannose is advised for:
- Bladder contamination
- Urinary tract infections and cystitis
- Preventing urinary tract and bladder infections
- The treatment of urine infections as an alternative to antiobiotics
- Kidney problems caused by the escherichia coli bacteria
However, the amount from food is not enough to counter an infection when the urinary tracts are contaminated. Therefore, it is advisable to take this substance as a dietary supplement, since it has the proper amount to heal this disease with a more effective treatment.
What are the causes of a D-mannose deficiency?
D-mannose makes up part of the mucous membranes of the organism, which is why it is so important in order to protect the body against harmful bacteria and to prevent a painful and unpleasant bladder and urinary tract inflammation.
Bacteria like the escherichia coli will take the chance to attack the body when it does not have enough D-mannose or if the mucous membranes are damaged. Those who are prone to suffer this type of urinary infections can take a preventive treatment of this product.
Intake and administration
Dose of D-mannose
We can treat bladder infections with a dose of 3g of D-mannose every 3 hours. We will deal with the infection from one to three days.
If it works, the symptoms will be relieved after 24 hours of taking this product. The treatment must be completed for four days.
Who can benefit from D-mannose?
- Those who suffer from cystitis, bladder or urinary tract problems
- Pregnant women who do not trust in an antibiotic treatment
- Those who want to avoid the side effects of antibiotics
- Children and babies (in a much lower dose)
- Diabetic people
Our body metabolizes D-mannose eight times slower than normal glucose, which is why it does not increase the blood sugar levels. It can be taken without any issue by diabetic people, but it is advisable to perform blood tests regularly.
Opinion of nutritionist and dietitians:
According to the experts, D-mannose is the most effective natural remedy against cystitis, bladder or urinary infections. Moreover, it also fights against the escherichia coli bacteria that trigger the inflammation. A clear advantage is that it does not produce the side effects of antibiotics.
Moreover, the experts provide information regarding the treatment with D-mannose dietary supplements: it has preventive effects and it significantly lowers the risk of suffering another infection later on. The great advantage of this product is that it does not trigger neither the side effects nor the interactions of antibiotics. It is also recommended for any group of patients (women, children, babies, diabetic people).
Does D-mannose have side effects or contraindications?
Diabetic people can take it as long as they control their blood sugar levels.
The use of this product does not entail any risk for pregnant women.
- Milandri R, Maltagliati M, Bocchialini T, Del Prete C, Bianchi G, Rocco BM, Micali S. Effectiveness of D-mannose, Hibiscus sabdariffa and Lactobacillus plantarum therapy in prevention of infectious events following urodynamic study. Urologia. 2018 Sep 12:391560318798291. doi: 10.1177/0391560318798291.
- Spivak LG, Rapoport LM, Platonova DV, Tsarichenko DG, Evdokimov MS, Demidko YL, Enikeev DV, Rossolovsky AN. [Issues of spectrum and local sensitivity of E. coli in female patients with acute uncomplicated lower urinary tract infection a review of M. Seitz study and own observations]. Urologiia. 2018 Jul;(3):58-62.
- Urinary infections, how can we avoid them?