Let's talk about creatine monohydrate.
Our body produces around 2g of creatine daily and we can get more from food and specially from supplementation.
There are several types of creatine (more information), although the most common one is creatine monohydrate. Each molecule of creatine monohydrate is made up of an 88% of creatine and a 12% of water.
It is available in a white, tasteless and water-soluble powder. It is highly effective and many athletes choose it because it is more affordable than the rest.
Table of contents
Creatine works on the phosphocreatine energy substrate. In other words, its task consists of keeping the ATP (Adenosine TriPhosphate) deposits saturated, in order to have immediate cell energy available for high energy demands.
One of the main reasons why people buy supplements and particularly creatine monohydrate, is to make up for the limited ATP reserves in the body.
Therefore, the maximum duration of the effort can last around 10 seconds. When we reach this point we must wait while more ATP is resynthesized. If we use creatine monohydrate supplementation, we will be shortening the time it takes to recharge these deposits.
- Increasing the muscle mass and strength: Creatine monohydrate enhances our ability to grow muscle tissue because it improves the cell hydration. This means that the muscle will have a better permeability, resulting in a better amino acid absorption by the cells.
- Shortening the recovery process: Creatine monohydrate helps to buffer the cell damage and muscle inflammation after a hard workout. Apart from supporting the recovery process after strength and power workouts, it can also be beneficial for endurance sports.
- Enhancing the athletic ability for explosive efforts: We can increase the amount of ATP that we have by using creatine monohydrate supplements, which will allow the muscles to store more of this energy molecule. Consequently, this will help us gain more strength and lean mass. Thanks to this extra energy supply, the athlete can increase the number of repetitions in a set, sprint faster, or perform in sports where the strength component is a determining factor.
- Cell hydration: This property allows the body to stimulate the protein synthesis through water retention at an intracellular level, since it produces an ionic attraction effect, increasing the nitrogen retention.
- Neuroprotection: New studies have provided information about the beneficial effects of creatine for our brain, protecting it against potential neurodegenerative diseases while providing cognitive support.
- Reducing the sarcopenia: This disease triggers the loss of muscle mass with the passing of time. One of the possible uses of creatine would be precisely to relieve this phenomenon, apart from its therapeutic benefits for muscle loss.
- Glucose control: This important benefit can be useful for those who suffer diseases like diabetes, since combining physical exercise and supplementation with creatine can improve the insulin sensitivity by stimulating the activity of the glucose transporter (GLUT-4). This element is produced by growth factors IGF-1 and IGF-2, which are stimulated by creatine itself.
It mainly supports IIB muscle fibers, which are fast-twitch fibers used in short and high intensity efforts.
The contraction of these fibers is enhanced through this energy support, which allows the athlete to increase the number of repetitions, sprint faster, and even to increase the strength, regardless of the sport discipline.
The benefits of creatine monohydrate is that it allows athletes to store more of this type of energy.
The body releases ATP to support the muscle contraction whenever it needs. At this point, ATP is transformed into ADP (Adenosine Diphosphate), an exchange energy unit.
Creatine works by means of cell saturation, which means that we have to perform a loading phase.
You can combine creatine monohydrate with:
- Protein shakes
- Juices or other drinks
A creatine monohydrate loading phase will last around 5-7 days, taking a dose of 5g, 4 or 5 times a day.
After the loading phase, we have to follow a Maintenance Phase, when the dose is reduced to 5g daily approximately for 3-4 weeks.
The loading phase is optional and it is done to obtain all the benefits immediately. If you choose not to do a loading phase, it is advisable to start with the following dose from the very first day:
- 0.1g of creatine per kg of body weight
You can perfectly combine both supplements in the same shake. Moreover, you can also make a 'stack' or combo with impressive results. It would be a post-workout shake:
- Glutamine + BCAA's + Creatine + Whey Protein
We can say that creatine is safe, since no study has reported clear side effects after its intake.
Creatine retains water, but at an intracellular level and not subcutaneously. Therefore it will not compromise esthetic goals; it can even be good to take creatine during a cutting phase, since it can help to improve the aspect of the muscles.
The price of creatine monohydrate supplements varies a lot depending on many factors such as: the type of raw ingredient, quantity, manufacturing process, brand, format, etc.
HSN has a special line called HSNraw, where you can buy pure Creapure® creatine for less than 6 euros.
We can provide the highest quality at really affordable prices due to the lack of intermediaries. The products are shipped directly from our factory to your home.
More information about Creatine:
It provides 3000mg of creatine monohydrate (Creapure®) per daily dose in vegetable capsules.In stock. Immediate delivery.
HSN100% Creatine monohydrate powder (Creapure®) Raw format. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% Creatine supplement with certified quality and Creapure® seal. Gluten and lactose-free.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Creatine monohydrate from Optimum Nutrition.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pre-workout formula sample with creatine, arginine, citrulline, beta-alanine and caffeine.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pre-workout formula with creatine, arginine, citrulline, beta-alanine and caffeine.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Micronized creatine monohydrate. Maximum absorption.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Creatine blend. It provides 12g of creatine per daily dose. Including vitamin B6.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% Creapure® Creatine Monohydrate. It provides 3g of creatine per serving.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% pure creatine monohydrate powder. It provides 5g of creatine per serving.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Creatine monohydrate of unparalleled purity.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% pure creatine monohydrate. No fillers.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Pure Creatine Monohydrate.In stock. Immediate delivery.
It accelerates the ATP recovery. It increases the strength and performance. 100% pure Creatine Monohydrate.In stock. Immediate delivery.
100% Creapure.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Creatine monohydrate powder. It provides 4200mg of creatine monohydrate per serving.In stock. Immediate delivery.
Creatine 100% CreapureIn stock. Immediate delivery.
High-purity creatine monohydrate. Tasteless.In stock. Immediate delivery.
The best creatine powder.Temporarily out of stock
Creatine monohydrate in tablets.Temporarily out of stock
100% micronized creatine monohydrate.Temporarily out of stock
100% Creatine Monohydrate powder. It provides more than 3000mg of creatine per serving.Temporarily out of stock