HMB PURE POWDER
- HMB-Ca powder only
- Without additives, without allergens and suitable for vegans
- Your best ally during cutting phase!
- Highly absorbable micronized powder
- Unflavored, add it to any drink!
- Without intermediaries, straight from the factory
What is HMB?
HMB is a substance that triggers the natural metabolism of leucine. Leucine is one of the 3 branched chain amino acids (BCAA's) and it belongs to the 9 essential amino acids that we need to provide to our organism through the diet, since we cannot synthesize them from simple molecules (Gil, 2010).
This substance is backed up with scientific evidence by the International Society of Sports Nutrition. This entity uses three different degrees of evidence to classify substances: the first degree equals the highest evidence, the second one is a mixed or medium evidence, while the third one has null or almost null evidence.
HMB belongs to the first category since there is a 'strong evidence that supports its efficacy and safety' in terms of muscle growth. While it falls on the second category, 'limited or mixed evidence to support its efficacy' when it comes to its effects on the sport performance according to the International Society of Sports Nutrition. In addition, this organization previously stated that:
- 'HMB enhances the hypertrophy, strength and potency in both trained and untrained population when we combine it with physical exercise'
- 'HMB can increase the fat-free mass and functionality in the elderly and sedentary population'
- 'Together with a workout plan, HMB can stimulate the fat loss processes'
Moreover, 'HMB also inhibits the protein breakdown and stimulates the protein synthesis' (Wilson et al., 2013).
Why take HMB?
HMB shares several functions with its precursor amino acid, L-leucine (Rodrigues-Silva et al., 2017). However, it interacts with the organism in a particular and specific way, which is why it is specially interesting for athletes who want to improve their physical composition (ISSN, 2013).
Taking L-leucine is not an efficient way of obtaining effective doses of HMB, specially if we are talking about taking the whole protein. A high quality protein approximately has a 10% of Leucine, which results in a 5% of HMB. Therefore, to obtain a dose of 3g of HMB we should take 60g of L-leucine, which would be available in approximately 600g of high quality protein (ISSN, 2013). Obviously, this would be completely ineffective, right?
Currently, there are 3 ways in which HMB can help to 'improve the muscle recovery, the sport performance and skeletal hypertrophy' (Rodrigues-Silva et al., 2017):
- mTORC1-dependent, a protein complex involved in the synthesis of muscle protein and anabolism, in other words, the growth of muscle mass.
- Inhibition of ubiquitin-proteasome, a system involved in the breakdown of intracellular protein. Therefore, HMB buffers said protein breakdown.
- Proliferation, specialization and fusion of satellite cells, which play an important role in the recovery from muscle damage and the future protein synthesis.
The positioning of the International Society of Sports Nutrition was stated in a review of the scientific literature about HMB. They claimed that 'apart from shortening the recovery from a high intensity exercise, HMB can help athletes to prevent the loss of muscle mass during the catabolism caused by circumstances like a calorie restriction. Moreover, HMB can be also beneficial when it comes to improving the physical composition and performance of elite athletes as well as for the elderly population. Finally, even though the research available is limited, it seems to be that its supplementation can also increase the aerobic performance' (Wilson et al., 2013).
How to take HMB?
Mix one scoop of HMB in 200ml of water and drink it 4 times a day. One of the intakes should be done before the workout.
You need to take HMB in the long term in order to completely benefit from its properties.
How can we combine HMB?
Are you in cutting phase? Then, combine our HMB with Evobcaa’s 2.0 to prevent the muscle breakdown caused by physical exercise.
Who can benefit from HMB?
- Athletes who want a specific supplement to prevent the muscle breakdown.
- 1. Gil, A. (2010). Tratado de Nutrición. Nutrición Humana en el Estado de Salud. (Coord. Martínez, E & Maldonado, J.). Madrid: Editorial Médica Panamericana.
- 2. Rodrigues Silva, V. R., Belozo, F., Micheletti, T., de Freitas, M., Stout, J., Pimentel, G., & Gonzalez, A. (2017). A systematic review on β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate free acid supplementation suggests improvements in measures of muscle recovery, performance, and hypertrophy following resistance training. Nutrition Research, 45.
- 3. Kerksick, C. M., Wilborn, C. D., Roberts, M. D., Smith-Ryan, A., Kleiner, S. M., Jäger, R., … Kreider, R. B. (2018). ISSN exercise & sports nutrition review update: research & recommendations. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 15(1), 38.
- 4. Wilson, J. M., Fitschen, P. J., Campbell, B., Wilson, G. J., Zanchi, N., Taylor, L., … Antonio, J. (2013). International Society of Sports Nutrition Position Stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 10(1), 6.
|per servingDaily dose|
|Serving size: 1 scoop (1.75g)|
|Daily dose: 4 scoops (7g)|
|Servings per container: 85|
|Amount per serving||NRV*|
|NRVs (Nutrient Reference Values) established in Regulation (EU) 1169/2011 of 25 October 2011. †† NRVs are not established on this occasion.|
How to take HMB PURE POWDER 150g:Mix 1 scoop (1.75 g) with 200 ml of water. It is advisable to take it 4 times a day throughout the whole day to get the best results.
Warnings:Once opened, store in a cool (under 25ºC), dry and dark place. Do not exceed the stated recommended daily dose. Keep out of reach of the smallest children. Nutritional supplements should not be used to replace a balanced diet.
You need some patience in order to dissolve it. You get used to the flavour. I like to combine it with Beta Alanine and Creatine in order to improve recoveries.HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics
I've been using it for less than a week and so far, and I've already been able to prolong my workout sessions. Totally recommend it!HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics
Love the product, hate the flavour
The only complaint that I have is that the flavour is really bad, I have to mix it with some juice, otherwise I would not be able to drink it.HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics