- Raw D-Ribose
- 100% without animal ingredients. Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
- Optimal dissolution
- It does not alter the taste of food
- Produced in a Certified Laboratory from the E.U.
What is D-Ribose?
HSN brings you D-Ribose, a product from the HSNraw line, which provides 10g of this substance per serving of the highest purity, since it only contains a little bit of anti-caking agent to prevent D-Ribose from binding together and nothing else.
This food supplement is a must for any athlete who worries about their recovery in order to face the next workout.
D-Ribose is a sugar, a pentose that performs important regulatory tasks in the organism. In fact, it is involved in the synthesis of nucleic acids (DNA and RNA) and ATP (Thomson et al., 2007).
Why take D-Ribose?
D-Ribose is a pentose that makes up part of important structural and regulatory elements like deoxyribonucleic and ribonucleic acid.
Your 'energy currency'
One of the elements that makes up D-Ribose is adenosine phosphate, our coin for the 'energy currency'. Our metabolism, uses adenosine phosphate for everything, since by breaking the phosphate bonds from the molecule, it releases a lot of energy that is used in processes like the beating of our heart, the metabolization of a nutrient, or contracting our quadriceps (Guyton & Hall, 2016).
When the body hydrolyzes the adenosine phosphate, this molecule starts losing phosphates. Then, it transforms from adenosine triphosphate (ATP) into diphosphate (AMP). Intense physical exercise significantly lowers the ATP concentrations available in our muscles (Hellsen et al., 2004). That is why intense workouts will make us 'run out of energy'.
AMP can break down into IMP (inosine monophosphate), since it is not an energetically active element. In other words, it is quite useless unless the body breaks it down or adds an amine to transform it into AMP once again and do something with it (Hellsen et al., 2004).
D-Ribose, an ally for the recovery
Apart from being a very slow process, our body can create new ATP molecules through different pathways. However, the availability of ribose in the body is limited (Brault and Terjung, 1985). That is why we will find significant differences between a group of athletes that takes D-Ribose after a hard workout and another group that does not use this product.
On the one hand, one group of athletes did hard workouts for 7 days until their ATP muscle reserves considerably dropped. By taking D-Ribose supplementation, the ATP levels were back to the same level they were at before starting the hard workouts.
On the other hand, the group of athletes who did not take D-Ribose needed more time to go back to the starting levels. This was observed after measuring the amount of nucleotides available in the muscle too, which showed that the creation of new adenosine phosphate was higher in the group that took D-Ribose (Hellsen et al., 2004)
Sharpen your focus, stabilize your organism faster
D-Ribose is a structural component of ATP and it is necessary for its synthesis. The research seems to point that a ribose metabolite is a limiting factor for our ability to synthesize ATP. Therefore, increasing its concentrations with D-Ribose supplements will be useful to recover the adenosine phosphate that has lost its amine faster.
That is the reason why D-Ribose supplementation has the ability to:
- “Improve the diastolic capacity of the heart, the quality of life and physical functionality” (Omram et al., 2003) in patients with congestive heart failure.
- “Significantly improve the ventilatory status during exercise” (MacCarter et al., 2009) in patients with advanced heart failure.
- “Improve the energy, sleep, mental clarity, buffer the intensity of pain and improve the feeling of wellness” (Teitelbaum et al., 2006) in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.
What do all of them share? These diseases damage the functionality of the muscle cells from the affected organic system (or systems), reducing the synthesis of ATP.
D-Ribose can be an interesting food supplement to increase the ATP concentrations in the muscle fibers when there is a condition that lowers its levels under its normal range.
How to take D-Ribose
Mix one scoop (10g) of ribose in 100ml of water and drink it after the workout.
How can we combine D-Ribose?
- Brault, J. J., & Terjung, R. L. (2001). Purine salvage to adenine nucleotides in different skeletal muscle fiber types. Journal of Applied Physiology (Bethesda, Md.: 1985), 91(1), 231–238.
- Hall, J. (2016). Tratado de fisiología médica, 13th Edición. El sevier.
- Hellsten, Y., Skadhauge, L., & Bangsbo, J. (2004). Effect of ribose supplementation on resynthesis of adenine nucleotides after intense intermittent training in humans. American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 286(1), R182-8.
- MacCarter, D., Vijay, N., Washam, M., Shecterle, L., Sierminski, H., & St Cyr, J. A. (2009, September). D-ribose aids advanced ischemic heart failure patients. International Journal of Cardiology, Vol. 137, pp. 79–80.
- Omran, H., Illien, S., MacCarter, D., St Cyr, J., & Luderitz, B. (2003). D-Ribose improves diastolic function and quality of life in congestive heart failure patients: a prospective feasibility study. European Journal of Heart Failure, 5(5), 615–619.
- Teitelbaum, J. E., Johnson, C., & St Cyr, J. (2006). The use of D-ribose in chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia: a pilot study. Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine (New York, N.Y.), 12(9), 857–862.
- Thompson, J., Hellack, J., Braver, G., Durica, D. (2007). Primer of Genetic Analysis: A Problems Approach, 3rd Edition. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
|Daily doseper serving|
|Serving size: 1 scoop (10g)|
|Daily dose: 1 scoop (10g)|
|Servings per container: 15|
Ingredients:D-Ribose, anti-caking agent E551 (silicon dioxide).
How to take D-RIBOSE POWDER 150g:Take 1 scoop (10g) a day with 100ml of water.
Warnings:Consult your doctor before starting any nutritional or exercise program. Nutritional supplements should not be used to replace a balanced diet. Do not exceed the stated recommended daily dose. Once opened, store in a cool (under 25ºC), dry and dark place. Keep out of reach of the smallest children.
It gives you energy for the whole day, no matter how hard the day was at work, you will have plenty of energy for your workout.HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics
This product makes wonders
After two weeks using this product I feel more energized and with more motivation for the workouts. My recoveries have significantly shortened and I don’t feel as sore the day after, which is great!HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics
I have been using it as a pre-workout and I have better performances. It also dissolves easily with all the products I have combined it with.HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics