- L-phenylalanine powder
- Essential amino acid
- Highest purity, 100% raw
- Obtained from vegetable sources
- Suitable for vegetarians and vegans
What is L-phenylalanine powder?
L-phenylalanine powder by HSNraw is a powdered product that exclusively contains the amino acid L-phenylalanine in a purer raw format without additives.
Our L-phenylalanine powder is a food supplement suitable for vegans and vegetarians, since the amino acid has been obtained through the fermentation of different vegetable sources.
Why take L-phenylalanine powder?
Because phenylalanine is an essential amino acid and we need to consume it.
Amino acids are nitrogenated units that make up the proteins that we usually eat from food. Therefore, we can find natural phenylalanine in protein-rich foods.
However, important research entities, such as The Metabolomics Innovation Centre (TMIC) shows us that:
“On average, an adult takes 5g of phenylalanine a day. Ideally, they would need more than 8g a day” (Canada Institutes of Health Research, Canada Foundation for Innovation, & The Metabolomics Innovation Centre, s.f.).
The indispensable nature of this amino acid means that we have to take it from the diet, since a deficiency of an essential amino acid for a long period of time can trigger a condition known as cachexia, which leads to muscle atrophy.
Gil (2010) points out that we need to take enough doses of essential amino acids such as L-phenylalanine since our organism does not have the ability to synthesize them endogenously.
L-phenylalanine and muscle mass
Phenylalanine is a proteinogenic amino acid, which means that it is the conformational unit of certain proteins that are present in our body, such as the ones from our muscle mass.
Since our body cannot synthesize L-phenylalanine on its own, a deficiency of this amino acid would cause a net loss of nitrogen, which can be fixed only by taking the amino acid we are missing.
In addition, the European Food Safety Authority states:
“Using supplementation with the deficient amino acid in a specific food increases the nutritional value of the protein and it can revert any clinical and chemical sign of a deficiency of the amino acid in question. Therefore, it will properly meet the protein requirements” (EFSA, 2011).
In other words, if we want to improve the regeneration and growth of the body tissues that are partly made up of protein we need to take enough essential amino acids.
Are you sure that you are taking enough L-phenylalanine through the diet?
L-phenylalanine, a potential ally in cutting phase
L-phenylalanine plays an important function in the hormone regulation of the organism.
Actually, the L-phenylalanine that we take from the diet but that is not used to build muscle tissue is stored in the liver. Then, it is mainly used to synthesize catecholamines.
L-phenylalanine can take a hydroxyl group to form tyrosine, another amino acid that is taken to the nerve cells in order to produce neurohormones such as dopamine and adrenaline.
Pacak et al. (2016)
Through this mechanism, phenylalanine has become a possible agent that can increase the amount of energy we can obtain from fat.
This is due to the fact that catecholamines (such as adrenaline) which are produced from phenylalanine have proven to release the fatty acids from the cells where they are stored (Arner, 1999).
This theory is supported by research such as the one by Ueda et al. (2017), where 6 healthy men took a phenylalanine food supplement before their workouts and they experienced changes in their energy expenditure:
Their glycerol and glucagon concentrations increased during the workout, while the respiratory quotient dropped when compared to the control group. This is proof of a higher fat oxidation during the workout (Ueda et al., 2017).
Why purchase L-phenylalanine by HSN?
L-phenylalanine in its natural form
Most of the phenylalanine products that are available in the market contain a racemic mixture of enantiomers dextro- and levo- amino acids. In other words, it is not pure L-phenylalanine, but DL-phenylalanine.
This phenylalanine form has different effects on the organism, since the natural form of amino acids is always the isomer L-. The proteins from our organism are almost exclusively made up from L-amino acids (Novotny and Kleywegt, 2005).
That is why we have selected this form to make our product so that it will have the highest availability for the organism in order to synthesize muscle protein. Because we only want the best for your nutrition!
Our L-phenylalanine is vegetable
Did you know that…
our amino acids are suitable for vegans?
That's right! Usually, the amino acids from the food supplement industry are obtained from animal sources: feathers, mammal hair and even human hair!
That is the reason why most free amino acids from the competence do not have the 'suitable for vegans' seal, since they are made from animal ingredients.
We have a clear objective in HSN: to make food supplements accessible to all kinds of athletes, regardless of their ethical position regarding the use of animal ingredients.
Because they should also be able to enjoy the benefits of L-phenylalanine
Our product is only made from pure L-phenylalanine powder obtained from vegetable sources. Thanks to a fermentation process, we can obtain the amino acid without using any animal ingredient whatsoever.
That is why our amino acids have the “suitable for vegans” seal in our amino acids, because vegan or not, we all are HSN!
How to take L-phenylalanine powder?
Mix a third of a scoop in 100-150ml of water approximately and drink it once a day.
Due to its possible effects as a catecholamine precursor, you can use our L-phenylalanine 15 minutes before your pre-workout meal. It is better to leave those 15 minutes in between without taking other amino acids that will compete to be absorbed in the bowel. That way, more L-phenylalanine will reach the blood faster.
How can we combine L-phenylalanine powder?
You can heighten the effects of L-phenylalanine by using other products involved in the synthesis of catecholamines such as our L-tyrosine powder.
Together with a green tea extract powder, you can make a pre-workout shake.
Ideal before a cardio session on an empty stomach!
- Arner, P. (1999). Catecholamine-induced lipolysis in obesity. International Journal of Obesity, 23, 10–13.
- EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, N. and A. (NDA). (2010). Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to L phenylalanine and increased alertness (ID 708, 1629), enhancement of mood (ID 657), pain relief (ID 657) and improvement of memory (ID 658) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006. EFSA Journal, 8(10), 1748.
- EFSA Panel on Dietetic Products, N. and A. (NDA). (2011). Scientific Opinion on the substantiation of health claims related to L-lysine and immune defence against herpes virus (ID 453), maintenance of normal blood LDL-cholesterol concentrations (ID 454, 4669), increase in appetite leading to an increase in energy intake (ID 610), contribution to normal protein synthesis (ID 609, 1612), maintenance of normal bone (ID 663, 1915), and increase in calcium absorption leading to an increase in calcium retention (ID 609, 1612) pursuant to Article 13(1) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006. EFSA Journal, 9(4), 2063.
- Gil, A. (2010). Tratado de Nutrición. Nutrición Humana en el Estado de Salud. (Coord. Martínez, E & Maldonado, J.). Madrid:Editorial Médica Panamericana.
- Jameson, J. L., In DeGroot, L. J., In De, K. D. M., In Giudice, L., In Grossman, A., In Melmed, S., In Potts, J. T., ... In Weir, G. C. (2016). Endocrinology: Adult & pediatric. Philadelphia, PA : Elsevier/Saunders.
- Novotny, M., & Kleywegt, G. J. (2005). A survey of left-handed helices in protein structures. Journal of Molecular Biology, 347(2), 231–241.
- Ueda, K., Sanbongi, C., Yamaguchi, M., Ikegami, S., Hamaoka, T., & Fujita, S. (2017). The effects of phenylalanine on exercise-induced fat oxidation: A preliminary, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 14(1), 34.
|Daily doseper serving|
|Serving size: 1/3 scoop (700mg)|
|Daily dose: 1/3 scoop (700mg)|
|Servings per container: 214|
Ingredients:L-phenylalanine (produced through a vegetable fermentation process).
How to take L-PHENYLALANINE POWDER 150g:Mix 1/3 scoop (700mg approx.) in water, juice or a drink of your choice. Drink it once a day, preferably 15 minutes before lunch.
Warnings:Once opened, store in a cool (under 25ºC), dry and dark place. Do not exceed the stated recommended daily dose. Keep out of reach of the smallest children. Nutritional supplements should not be used to replace a balanced diet.
Good service, prompt delivery
I read somewhere that Phenylalanine has been used for vitiligo because it stimulates the skin cells. I decided to give it a try since it's actually quite inexpensive and the good weather is almost here. The shipping was quite fast even with how things are at the moment with the pandemic. The format is quite good too, it comes with a scoop to measure the dose. I guess I can't say much about its effects since it'll probably take a while, but I'm really happy with the service and product overall!HSN Sport Nutrition and Natural Dietetics