Zinc deficiencies are quite common nowadays since there are still people who are not aware of the importance of this nutrient for our health
Zinc and Testosterone Increase
What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is the main androgen or male sex hormone, although it is present in both sexes. It is classified as an anabolic steroid and it is produced in the gonads. We reach the highest testosterone peak during the adolescence and adult age. Afterwards, its production drops, reaching very low levels in some cases.
Testosterone is one of the most important hormones when it comes to creating muscle mass and strengthening the bones. In fact, it is responsible for the sexual features which are much more prominent in men. Low testosterone levels in men are known as hypogonadism. Actually, women also produce testosterone, but much less than men.
There are some testosterone problems that reduce the production of this hormone or it can be simply due to the passing of time. We will experience certain symptoms: it will be harder to create muscle mass, apart from having low energy, mood, and libido.
Zinc can prevent the excessive function of an enzyme called aromatase, which is responsible for transforming testosterone in estrogen. A high estrogen level due to an abnormal activity of said enzyme will block the testosterone production by inhibiting the luteinizing hormone. Consequently, this can become a cyclic process that will cause subdermal water retention, more facility to store fat, or loss of muscle mass.
How to take zinc to increase the testosterone
A zinc supply can regulate the hormone levels by:
- Reducing the activity of the estrogen receptors and inhibiting the aromatase enzyme.
- Increasing the production of the thyroid hormone.
- Reducing the ability to bind testosterone to the transport proteins called SHBG (Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin) and albumin.
- Increasing the levels of the Dihydrotestosterone hormone (DHT) and free testosterone.
How can we combine Zinc to increase the testosterone
The best way to treat a zinc deficiency is through supplementation. In fact, we have two important products for this:
ZMA is an excellent supplement that includes Zinc + Magnesium, and an absorption cofactor. In this case the latter is vitamin B6. Take it on an empty stomach before sleeping.
Stack to Increase the Testosterone
A combination of zinc supplements to increase the endogenous testosterone naturally could be:
- 25-45mg of zinc
- 1-2g of Fenugreek
- 3g of aspartic acid
- Zhang P, Schatz A, Adeyemi B, Kozminski D, Welsh J, Tenniswood M, Wang WW. Vitamin D and testosterone co-ordinately modulate intracellular zinc levels and energy metabolism in prostate cancer cells. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2019 May;189:248-258. doi: 10.1016/j.jsbmb.2019.01.006. Epub 2019 Jan 18.
- Prasad AS, Mantzoros CS, Beck FW, Hess JW, Brewer GJ. Zinc status and serum testosterone levels of healthy adults. Nutrition. 1996 May;12(5):344-8.
- Buy Zinc Supplements
- Foods Rich in Zinc
- How to increase the testosterone levels naturally?
- Ashwagandha and testosterone increase