Thermogenic supplements are one of the most effective products to support fat loss. They will increase our body temperature in order to burn the fat deposits.
What are thermogenic supplements?
These are products which have been designed to increase the body temperature, the metabolic rate. Consequently, your body will burn more calories throughout the day, even while resting.
By enhancing the fat burning processes, we will be able to loss more fat daily. That is why this product is specially meant for those who want to lose weight.
However, we always need to combine them with physical exercise and a healthy diet in order to benefit from their effects.
Effective thermogenic supplements
There are many thermogenic supplements available in the market. A good product will usually include a blend of thermogenic ingredients and other active ingredients to enhance fat loss. For example, ingredients that suppress the appetite, energizers, insulin enhancers, etc.
Examples of effective thermogenic supplements:
- Caffeine: Without any doubt, caffeine is the main ingredient from many weight loss formulas. Caffeine increases the release of catecholamines, which improves the lipolysis (fat burning), increasing the energy expenditure (3-7%). It is also a mild diuretic, which means that it helps to get rid of a liquid excess. Moreover, caffeine increases the alertness and focus, decreases the fatigue and improves our response speed. On top of that, it can even improve our mood and motivate us.
- Green Tea: It is one of the most beneficial ingredients when it comes to enhancing fat burning. The combination of EGCG and caffeine from green tea produces a thermogenic effects that uses fat as energy. Moreover, green tea has a high antioxidant content to control the free radicals produced during intense physical exercise. In addition, it regulates the blood sugar levels, lowers the cholesterol levels and decreases the risk of suffering cardiovascular diseases.
- Guarana: Guarana is a natural extract that is advised to improve the physical composition thanks to its thermogenic effect. Moreover, it is a satiating ingredient that increases the energy and reduces the appetite.
- Citrus Aurantium Extract or Bitter Orange (Synephrine): an active ingredient commonly used in thermogenic formulas. Apart from its ability to increase the body temperature and metabolic rate, bitter orange can calm the appetite. This will help us eat less calories daily. We could say that it is an “appetite suppressant”.
- Capsaicin: It is an alkaloid that is naturally present in chilli, jalapenos, pepperoncino, etc. Its thermogenic effect can increase the basal metabolism around 23%, although temporarily.
Side effects of thermogenic supplements
A thermogenic product will not produce side effects as long as we are healthy and follow the recommended dose. However, we may experience mild side effects (depending on the dose, type of ingredients and person) due to the stimulation of the catecholamine receptors. They increase the heartbeat and can trigger nervousness, stomachache, dizziness and/or insomnia.
This type of products tend to work directly on the heart. We need to keep in mind that they are stimulants that increase the heartbeat and which can cause alterations. Thermogenic products are not advised for those who suffer some kind of heart problem or hypertension. Otherwise, they may experience tachycardia, arrhythmia, etc.
These supplements are usually taken in the morning on an empty stomach or between 30 to 45 minutes before doing exercise. Do not take a thermogenic supplements 4-6 hours before sleeping because its effect lasts for several hours. But, first and foremost, you should consult your doctor before taking a product with thermogenic effects.
Always test your tolerance to the product by taking small doses and increase them progressively. You should never exceed the dose advised by the manufacturer.
Let’s not forget that a dose between 250-300mg of caffeine daily, or even lower, can trigger:
- Irregular heartbeats
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
- Gastrointestinal problems
A dose between 10-14g of caffeine is lethal.
Using a product that contains caffeine for a long time can cause abstinence.
- You can purchase thermogenic supplements here.
- The 20 Best Tips to Burn Fat
- It is healthy to burn fat, not to lose weight