There are many factors that can lead to depression or anxiety attacks. And it is not a sign of being mentally weak, but of being fully aware of what is going on around us and susceptible to its influence. Meditation can be an effective alternative to counteract the effects of these conditions on us.
Meditation as a Natural Treatment against Depression
And although this method is not considered an orthodox solution for treating depression or anxiety, in 2014 it was published in the Journal of Internal Medicine as part of the American Medical Society, that at least half an hour of meditation can improve symptoms in depressed or anxious people (La Vanguardia, 2014).
Effects of Meditation
On the 20-minute news portal and as part of a publication in its health section, it highlights that the effects of meditation provide a ‘feeling of well-being’ similar to that of antidepressants, but without the degree of toxicity provided by drugs. This source mentions the same study published in 2014, and stresses that this treatment has only had an effect on the less extreme versions of the diseases in question.
So, there is no clear evidence that depression and anxiety can be combated at more severe levels with meditation alone as a remedy, although people claim that it works to mitigate the consequences of these conditions
Full Consciousness Meditation
In the medical trial, the meditation technique of Full Consciousness was applied. This has its origin in Buddhist culture, and consists of an approach to stay present in reality for at least 30 or 40 minutes per day, accompanied by the relaxation of the body and mind. (20minutes, 2014)
Treatment for Depression
For now, the safest method indicated by medical specialists is the use of drugs, when the diagnosis is severe. One option is 5-HTP. This is an amino acid that serves as a motive to increase the levels of serotonin in the brain, since it is responsible for the feeling of happiness and well-being in the human being.
It is advisable to consult a specialist before consuming any anti-depressant product
5-HTP to Treat Depression
As we have already mentioned in the blog, 5-HTP or 5-Hydroxytryptophan has been shown to be effective in combating depression in those with severe clinical symptoms who do not respond to other, less potent antidepressants. The formulation of this supplement is indicated for weight loss, but because of its effects it is now presented as an alternative antidepressant for those who require immediate help. Its side effects are associated with abdominal bloating or nausea, but are not really serious.
Drugs for Depression
There are a number of other antidepressant products that may be helpful for depression or anxiety. Drugs such as Duloxetine or Bupropion are indicated for this purpose. But their dosage and application should only be administered by a licensed physician. Unsupervised intake of these drugs can lead to serious health contraindications (NCBI, 2009).
Help Against Depression
When choices such as meditation on your Anxiety, daily routine, habits, and stress from work or other activities can produce a more state of despair and restlessness with more intense traits in certain people. These disorders undoubtedly impair anyone’s quality of life. That is why specialist help should be sought when we cannot overcome these obstacles on our own.
Whether through meditation, or the use of 5-HTP, do not fail to seek support from those who truly know the subject. There is always a solution to any problem.
- 20minutos. (Enero de 2014). La meditación puede servir para tratar la depresión y la ansiedad: 20 Minutos. Recuperado el Octubre de 2017, de Sitio Web de 20 Minutos: http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/2022429/0/meditacion/tratamiento/depresion-ansiedad/
- HSN Store. (2017). 5-HTP: Ayuda Natural Para La Depresión, El Insomnio Y Otras Dolencias: HSN Store. Recuperado el Octubre de 2017, de Sitio Web de HSN Store: https://www.hsnstore.eu/blog/suplementos/depresion/5-htp/#que_es_el_5_htp
- La Vanguardia. (7 de Enero de 2014). Media hora diaria de meditación alivia los síntomas de depresión y ansiedad: La Vanguardia. Recuperado el Octubre de 2017, de Sitio Web de La Vanguardia: http://www.lavanguardia.com/vida/20140107/54398863655/media-hora-diaria-de-meditacion-alivia-los-sintomas-de-depresion-y-ansiedad.html
- NCBI. (Julio de 2009). Medicamentos antidepresivos. Guía para adultos con depresión: NCBI. Recuperado el Octubre de 2017, de Sitio Web de NCBI: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47464/
- Depression - What is is and what the symptoms are
- Stress, Causes and How to Avoid it
- Plants with Adaptogenic Properties
- Reasons why I am always tired