Here you have a specific football home workout during the quarantine. What is our objective? To help you stay a little bit closer to the football pitch by staying fit. Because we will enjoy our favorite sport once all this situation is over. Get back to it with your best form!
Our workout plan will be structured in microcycles made of 4 sessions.
All of them will follow this structure:
- 1st Day: Lower Body Strength + Core.
- 2nd Day: Upper Body Strength + Core.
- 3rd Day: Metabolic Workout.
- 4th Day: Active Recovery.
A Workout Routine for all levels
Above all, the most important things of all our sessions will be the quality of the movements over the quantity. That is why you will see how the number of repetitions per exercise will be quite open in general, depending on the level of each player.
In fact, it would be pointless to do 4 sets of 15 repetitions with a lot of fatigue and a bad technique. Instead of improving, we would actually do the exercises incorrectly due to the fatigue.
Finally, it is time to start!
Soon, we will be back to the football pitch. Together, we will defeat COVID-19!
We will work in a circuit, doing a set of each exercise and moving on to the next one.
The number of sets or number of circuits we will do is going to depend on our level. Be responsible and adjust the sets to your level, there is plenty of time to improve.
- Beginners (I have never done strength training): 1-2 sets.
- Intermediate (I do strength training every once in a while): 2-3 sets.
- Advanced (I do strength training every week): 3-4 sets.
1st Day: Lower Body Strength + Core
Let’s start off with the exercises for the first day. When it comes to the material, do not worry. If you do not have dumbbells or elastic bands, you can use everyday objects from home.
For now, you will just need a chair, 2 cloths, a broomstick and a jug of water, luggage or similar.
1. SPLIT (Beginners 10 rep/side) (Intermediate 12 rep/side) (Advanced 15 rep/side) Keep your back straight, activate your core during the whole exercise and breathe out going up.
If you are not able to keep your balance (Beginners), place a chair in front of you to help you until you master the exercise.
2. BRIDGE (WITH CHAIR) (Beginners 10 rep/side) (Intermediate 12 rep/side) (Advanced 15 rep/side) Place yourself close to a chair, put your heels on it activate your core during the whole exercise and breathe out going up. 3. ECCENTRIC BACK SPLIT (WITH CLOTH) (Beginners 8 rep/side) (Intermediate 10 rep/side) (Advanced 10-12 rep/side) Keep your back as straight as possible and activate your core during the whole exercise. Keep your feet on the ground during the movement, just slide. 4. DOUBLE-LEG DEADLIFT (WITH BROOMSTICK) (Beginners 7 rep) (Intermediate 10 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Put the broomstick in the center of our back, following our spine. During the execution, you have to prevent the broomstick from separating from that straight line. You have probably seen this exercise a thousand times, but we need to make sure we do it perfectly before moving onto more complex exercises.
Keep your back straight and activate your core, do not arch your back.
5. ADD SQUAT (Beginners 7 rep/side) (Intermediate 10 rep/side) (Advanced 12 rep/side) Make sure that you are standing on your whole feet and that they are straight.
Do not stand on your legs. Activate your core and breathe out when you go back to the initial position.
6. HIP THRUST (WITH CHAIR) (Beginners 10 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Activate your core and glutes during the whole exercise. Put your scapulas on the chair, not the whole back. Breathe out when you go back to the initial position. 7. HIGH PLANK WITH HIP EXTENSION (Beginners 8 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Keep your body straight all the time. To do so, activate your core and avoid flexing your hips. Breathe out during the hip extension. 8. KNEES TO CHEST (WITH TWO CLOTHS) (Beginners 10 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Keep your back straight and activate your core. Breathe out while flexing your knees. Do not separate your feet from the ground, just slide. 9. HIGH ROTATIONS IN BOTH DIRECTIONS (WITH JUG) (Beginners 3 rep/side) (Intermediate 5 rep/side) (Advanced 7 rep/side) Activate your core during the execution and breathe out while turning. Avoid arching the lumbar area. 10. SUPERMAN (Beginners 10 rep/side) (Intermediate 12 rep/side) (Advanced 15 rep/side) Activate your core and always try to find that straight line. Activate your glutes during the exercise and breathe out going up.
Desde hoy me uno a los compañeros que aportan su granito de arena para que los que practicamos este gran deporte sigamos entrenando en casa
📍PROPUESTA TRABAJO TREN INFERIOR Y CORE📍
— Carlos Gallardo (@GallardoC90) March 30, 2020
2nd Day: Upper Body Strength + Core
You will have to use the same materials as the first day. Take advantage of everyday objects if you do not have dumbbells or elastic bands at home 😉
1. DIPS WITH FOOT ON CHAIR (Beginners 10 rep) (Intermediate 15-20 rep) (Advanced 20-25 rep) Keep your back straight, activate your core during the execution and breathe out going up. 2. HAND SLIDES (Beginners 8 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Activate your core during the execution and breathe out while sliding forward. 3. SHOULDER PRESS + SPLIT (WITH JUG OR BOTTLE) (Beginners 8rep/side) (Intermediate 10 rep/side) (Advanced 10-12 rep/side) Keep your back as straight as possible and activate your core during the execution. Breathe out during the press. 4. REVERSE FLYES (WITH 2 CLOTHS) (Beginners 7 rep) (Intermediate 10 rep) (Advanced 12 rep) Activate your core and keep your back straight, avoid flexing your hips. Do the flyes slowly and fast while going back to the starting position. 5. PULLOVER BRIDGE (WITH JUG) (Beginners 10 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Activate your core and glutes. Breathe out going down. 6. LATERAL PLANK WITH SHOULDER ABDUCTION (WITH BOTTLE) (Beginners 8 rep) (Intermediate 10-12 rep) (Advanced 12-15 rep) Activate your core and glutes during the execution. Put your weight on the forearms. Breathe out on your way up. 7. HIGH PLANK / LOW PLANK (Beginners 8 rep) (Intermediate 12 rep) (Advanced 15 rep) Keep your body straight at all times. To do so, activate your core and avoid flexing your hips. Breathe out during each movement.
Avoid swinging your body to the sides as much as possible.
8. BRIDGE AND CHEST FLYE (WITH JUG) (Beginners 8 rep/side) (Intermediate 12 rep/side) (Advanced 15 rep/side) Activate your core and glutes. Breathe out while lifting the weight.
Follow the exercises on the following video. Do not hesitate to leave any question you may have in the comments and we will answer as soon as we can!
Seguimos con la rutina de entrenamiento semanal en casa.
Recuerda que lo importante es seguir activo!
📍PROPUESTA DE TRABAJO DE TREN SUPERIOR Y CORE📍
— Carlos Gallardo (@GallardoC90) March 31, 2020
3rd Day: Metabolic Training
It is time to work our cardiovascular and metabolic systems.
Do between 3 and 6 repetitions of the circuit depending on your previous level.
Therefore, you are the one that decides how many circuits you can do. Do not forget that this is a “long distance run”, we do not want to reach exhaustion in a day and rest for the rest of the week. Above all, it is better to start little by little and increase the volume progressively.
We suggest taking a timer to see how much time it takes us to do the exercises.
Today, we are going to do the following exercises:
- Skipping frontal 30”.
- Skipping + lateral jump 30”.
- Jump header + lateral coordination 30”.
- Lateral pivots 30”.
- Skipping + frontal jump and landing.
- Inside ball hit 30”.
If you do not know how to do some of the exercises, check out the explainer video of each one of the movements.
Make sure to do all of them!
Seguimos con el entrenamiento en casa!
📍Sesión de trabajo Metabólico📍
▪️30” Work/30” Rest
▪️Trabajo en Circuito
▪️Repeticiones según nivel
— Carlos Gallardo (@GallardoC90) April 1, 2020
4th Day: Active Recovery
After completing the three hard workout sessions on previous days, it is time to recover and get ready for the next microcycle.
That is why we are going to do an active recovery session:
1. FOAM ROLLER Calves Hamstring Glutes Quadriceps Adductors 2. MOBILITY Moreover, we will also do a joint mobility circuit that you can see in the final video.
Repeat this circuit 2 or 3 times, doing 10-15 repetitions per exercise on average. Do not go too slow or too fast, control your breathing and your posture at all times.
Now more than ever, quality is of upmost importance!
3. PROPRIOCEPTION Put 3 objects around you in order to create a reference with a Y shape (you can see how in the video).
Standing only on one feet, take the feet that is not touching the ground as close as you can to one of the 3 objects. It is important to activate your muscles and control your breathing to balance yourself.
Do between 2-3 sets of 5 repetitions with each leg.
4. LOW INTENSITY CARDIO If you have a bicycle, treadmill, elliptical bike or something similar it would be great to do 10-15 minutes of low intensity cardio.
Check out all the exercises in the following video and put them into practice during the active recovery session.
Toda buena rutina de entrenamiento necesita una parte de recuperación activa!
📍PROPUESTA DE RECUPERACIÓN ACTIVA EN CASA📍
Aunque entrenes en casa, la recuperación es igual de importante☑️
— Carlos Gallardo (@GallardoC90) April 2, 2020
This is my contribution for the quarantine, so that you will be ready to go back to the football pitch once this is all over. We work with all these exercises and recommendations every day in a professional football club.
From now on, you will be able to keep reading my proposals and advice in the HSN Blog. Cheers!
- Follow a general workout routine during the quarantine, per week.
- The importance of Nutrition and Supplementation during Quarantine. Read this post.
- You can also do exercise and entertain your children during the quarantine. We tell you how.