The CrossFit Games 2020 have just taken place. We fill you in on everything that went down and who the winners were, although there were few surprises…
- 1 New 2020 Edition
- 2 When is the CrossFit Games 2020?
- 3 Where do they take place?
- 4 CrossFit Games Open 2020 Participants
- 5 What will the first online stage be like?
- 6 What are the Online Stage events?
- 7 How has the pandemic affected the 2020 Games?
- 8 In-Person Final Stage
- 9 Final results of the 2020 CrossFit Games
New 2020 Edition
The new edition of the CrossFit Games started with emotion and questions over whether anyone was capable of defeating and ending the domination of Mat Fraser and Tia Toomey.
One thing for certain was that it would be a different kind of competition in the times of Covid-19.
When is the CrossFit Games 2020?
Before Covid-19 happened, he had already made the decision to create an online ranking stage (18 and 19 of September) and a final in-person stage at The Ranch in California (23, 24 and 25 of October).
Where do they take place?
The chosen location is “The Ranch” of Dave Castro in Aromas, United States.
CrossFit Games Open 2020 Participants
On the 18th and 19th of September the first ranking stage for the Crossfit Games 2020 takes place.
The objective is to filter the participants and narrow down the search for the fittest athlete in the world, going from 30 to 5 athletes of each gender.
Approximately 60 participants were already known to have qualified for the online stage, but the final make-up was still to be determined after the withdrawals and sanctions.
The list of the men and women who qualified for the first qualifying events will now be presented, along with the reason for their qualification:
- Cole Sager (Open Top 20)
- Tim Paulson (Open Top 20)
- Samuel Cournoyer (Open Top 20)
- Tyler Christophel (Open Top 20)
- Patrick Vellner (Open Top 20)
- Jonne Koski (Open Top 20)
- Travis Mayer (Open Top 20)
- Jeffrey Adler (Open Top 20)
- Scott Tetlow (Open Top 20)
- Alexandre Caron (Open Top 20)
- Mathew Fraser (Open Top 20)
- Samuel Kwant (Open Top 20)
- Jacob Heppner (Open Top 20)
- Björgvin Karl Guðmundsson (Open Top 20)
- Bayden Brown (Open Top 20)
- Chandler Smith (Open Top 20)
- Noah Ohlsen (Open Top 20)
- Roman Khrennikov (Open Top 20)
- Brent Fikowski (Dubai CrossFit Championship)
- Khan Porter (Pandaland CrossFit Challenge)
- Pete Shaw (SouthFit CrossFit Challenge)
- Luke Schafer (Mayhem Classic)
- Justin Medeiros (Filthy 150)
- David Shorunke (Strength in Depth)
- Griffin Roelle (Norwegian CrossFit Championship)
- Saxon Panchik (Wodapalooza)
- Jay Crouch (Australian CrossFit Championship)
- Adam Davidson (Brazil CrossFit Championship)
- Brandon Luckett (Open Top 20)
- Rogelio Gamboa (Open Top 20)
- Kari Pearce (Open Top 20)
- Kristine Best (Open Top 20)
- Kara Saunders (Open Top 20)
- Camilla Salomonsson Hellman (Open Top 20)
- Jamie Simmonds (Open Top 20)
- Emma McQuaid (Open Top 20)
- Amanda Barnhart (Wodapalooza)
- Haley Adams (Strength in Depth)
- Sara Sigmundsdottir (Open Top 20)
- Kristin Holte (Open Top 20)
- Brooke Wells (Open Top 20)
- Melina Rodriguez (Brazil CrossFit Championship)
- Gabriela Migala (Open Top 20)
- Laura Horvath (Open Top 20)
- Tia-Clair Toomey (Open Top 20)
- Kristi Eramo O’Connell (Open Top 20)
- Carol-Ann Reason-Thibault (Open Top 20)
- Karin Freyova (Open Top 20)
- Katrin Tanja Davidsdottir (Open Top 20)
- Kendall Vincelette (Open Top 20)
- Danielle Brandon (Mayhem Classic)
- Harriet Roberts (Pandaland CrossFit Challenge)
- Bethany Shadburne (SouthFit CrossFit Challenge)
- Andrea Solberg (Filthy 150)
- Samantha Briggs (Dubai CrossFit Championship)
- Sanna Venäläinen (Norwegian CrossFit Championship)
- Andrea Nisler (Open Top 20)
- Brooke Haas (Open Top 20)
- Laura Clifton (Australia CrossFit Championship)
- Dani Speegle (Open Top 20)
What will the first online stage be like?
The organisers of the CrossFit Games 2020 have carefully developed a series of special,seasonal characteristics for the correct performance of the online events.
- 7 events taking place in a pre-established location and at a pre-established time.
- Each of the 60 athletes compete from their own location.
- The events will be recorded to be judged by the Games organisers.
- The athlete will compete in the event in an established time window.
- The WODs cannot be repeated.
- The results are kept secret until the CrossFit Games publish them
- Athletes have to complete the WOD in the time given.
- The ranking will not be tracked in real time as there are athletes competing in widely dispersed time zones, but there will be updates each time all athletes finish a WOD.
- At the end of this phase, prizes worth over $500,000 will be awarded to the remaining athletes in positions 20 to 6.
- At the end of the two days, CrossFit Games will publish the 5 men and 5 women who will participate in the in-person stage.
What are the Online Stage events?
First Day: 18 September
3 rounds for time:
- 21 Thrusters
- 21 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
W 85 lb.; M 115 lb
“1RM of Front Squat”
- Establish a 1-rep-max front squat
3 rounds for time:
- 15 Deadlifts
- 15 Strict deficit handstand push-ups
W 205 lb., 2-in. deficit; M 315 lb., 3.5-in. deficit
- Row 1,000 meters
Second Day: 19 September
5 rounds for time:
- 500-m run
- 15 Overhead squats
- 15 Bar-facing burpees
W 125 lb.; M 185 lb.
- Max freestanding handstand hold
- GHD sit-up
W 185 lb.; M 275 lb.
How has the pandemic affected the 2020 Games?
For this reason, the 2020 CrossFit Games have had to be designed in a different way, as right now the principal objective is to protect people’s health and prevent the spread of the virus.
However, by taking the necessary measures, Dave Castro has been able to rise to the occasion and has established 3 key points:
- 2 stage: Online and In-Person.
- Private Event.
- Maximum safety for participants, judges and the media.
On the other hand, as it is not a public event, due to restrictions on festivals and sporting events, the spectator experience has been put on hold this year, and all tickets sold have been refunded.
If you want to find out more about possible risks that come with high intensity exercise and coronavirus, click here.
In-Person Final Stage
The in-person stage is the most anticipated moment of the year, and will be held from the 23rd to the 25th of October under a series of conditions:
- Scores are reset and start from 0.
- There will be a live broadcast.
- Athletes will be judged by members of the CrossFit Seminar Staff.
- Men and Women will compete in some events together.
- 5 ranked women: Haley Adams, Brooke Wells, Kari Pearce, Katrin Davidsdottir and Tia Toomey.
- 5 ranked men: Samuel Kwant, Jeffrey Adler, Justin Medeiros, Noah Ohlsen and Matt Fraser.
What were the events in the In-Person Final Stage?
Event 1: “2007 Reload”
- 1500m Row
Then, 5 rounds of:
- 10 Bar Muscle Ups
- 7 Shoulder to Overheads
M 65.7kg / H 106.5 kg
Event 2: “Corn Sack Sprint”
- 320m sprint carrying a corn sack
M 14kg / H 23 kg; TC: 8´
Event 3: “CrossFit Total”
- Back Squat 1-rep max
- Shoulder Press 1-rep max
- Deadlift 1-rep max
Event 4: “Handstand Sprint”
- 91m of Handstand Walk
Event 5: “Ranch Loop”
- 3 miles/4.8 km run around the ranch
Event 6: “Toes to bar / Lunge”
- Toes to Bar
- Kettlebell Lunge
M 24 kg / H 32 kg
Event 7: “Snatch Speed Tripet”
By time: 1 Snatch on each bar (3 bars / 3 rounds)
- Quarter finals (5 athletes, 1´ TC): Women: 65-68-70 kg / Men: 102-106.5-111 kg
- Semi-final (4 athletes, 2´ TC): Women: 72.5-75-77kg / Men 111-115.5-120kg
- Final (3 athletes, 3´ TC): Women: 79-81,5-84kg / Men: 120-124-129kg
Event 8: “Bike Repeater”
- 440-metre Bike sprint
- 1 legless rope Climb 4.5m
Event 9: “Happy Star”
- 200- to 300-meter Hill run
5-7-8-11 reps of:
M 95-105-110-115-lb / H 135-145-155-165-lb
Event 10: “Swim “n” stuff”
4 rounds, each for time:
- Air Bike Calories (10/15)
- 50-meter swim
- 10 GHD sit-ups
- 10 Ball Slams (18/27kg)
Event 11: “Sprint Sled Sprint”
- 91m Sprint
- 91m Sled Push
- 91m Sprint
M 36kg / H 47.5kg
Event 12: “Atalanta”
- 1-mile run
- 100 Handstand push ups
- 200 single leg Squats
- 300 pull ups
- 1-mile run
M 6kg.vest; H 9kg.vest
Final results of the 2020 CrossFit Games
Lastly, the final results and definitive ranking of the latest edition of the CrossFit Games:
- For men: 1º Mat Fraser (1150 points), 2º Samuel Kwant (605 points), 3º Justin Medeiros (560 points), 4º Noah Ohlsen (540 points) and 5º Jefrey Adler (505 points).
- For women: 1º Tia Toomey (1025 points), 2º Katrin Davidsdottir (665 points), 3º Kari Pearce (585 points), 4º Haley Adams (560 points) and 5º Brooke Wells (525 points).
- Crossfit © (2015). Guía del entrenamiento nivel I. Crossfit©.
- Crossfit© (2019). Crossfit Games 2020. Crossfit©. Recuperado de https://games.crossfit.com/games
- How have the CrossFit Games grown since their beginnings? We tell you in this link.
- If you do CrossFit, have you thought about how much protein you need? Find our answer here.