The term “fat” tends to be related to something harmful or bad. However, some types of fat are healthy. For example, one of them is Omega-3, a group of essential polyunsaturated fatty acids. Actually, the body cannot synthesize them on its own, which is why we have to obtain them from food or supplementation. In this article, we are mainly going to talk about the benefits of Omega-3 fatty acids.
Benefits of Omega-3 that you not miss
Some of the benefits of Omega-3 are:
- Relieving any type of inflammation. Therefore, it is advisable to take it in order to prevent and relieve allergies, asthma and eczema.
- Reducing the triglyceride levels and increasing the HDL or “good cholesterol”, lowering the risk of heart attack.
- Improving the cartilage and joint health.
- Supporting the eye health and improving the sight of people of all ages. When it comes to the fetus, its intake on behalf of the mother will also improve its eye development.
- Decreasing the chances of suffering cardiovascular pathologies. This effect is superior to any other medicine.
- Playing a crucial role in the brain development. A study conducted on children concluded that those who take Omega-3 have more mental and visual acuity. Therefore, it means that they are smarter than those who do not take these fatty acids.
- Supporting the hormone balance, encouraging and deep and restful sleep. This results in us feeling energized and full of vitality.
- Increasing the intellectual performance and coefficient.
- Helping to preserve the memory for longer in the case of the elderly.
- Fighting against Alzheimer’s disease.
- Buffering the effects of multiple sclerosis.
- Preserving the permeability of the cell walls.
- Relieving the symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Dealing with depression, since it is a natural antidepressant.
- Balancing the testosterone levels.
- Reducing the inflammation in the lungs and dealing with allergies, asthma and eczema.
Did you think that was all? Have some more!
- Helping to reduce the growth of cancerous cells. Therefore, it supports the treatment of prostate cancer, colorectal cancer and breast cancer.
- Stop the aging process, by improving the hormone levels and the joint health. Moreover, they are a formidable sport supplement that shortens the recovery after a hard treatment.
- Treating obesity, have you not heard about Omega-3 and its properties for weight loss?
- Improving the ability of the cells to respond to insulin, stimulating the production of leptin. This hormone is in charge of regulating the intake of food, the weight and body metabolism. Moreover, it is related to the amount of fatty cells or adipocytes.
- Regulating the blood pressure. Unlike what happens with medicines that increase the blood pressure, Omega-3 fatty acids lower the blood pressure naturally. It may take more time in order to benefit from their effects, but they will not trigger side effects either.
- Encouraging a better mood, making us feel more optimistic and preventing the onset of mental diseases.
- Preventing the onset of cardiovascular problems, as well as the fat deposits in the arteries and the formation of platelets by the endothelial cells or arterial lining.
- Crossing the blood-brain barrier, which is proof of its antioxidant properties.
- Decreasing the platelet adherence as well as the chances of suffering cardiovascular accidents caused by blood clots in the brain.
- Increasing the concentration of good eicosanoids (prostaglandin F2a and thromboxane B2) while reducing the harmful triglycerides.
- Lowering the production of cytokines associated with anti-inflammatory reactions that increase the chances of suffering arteriosclerosis.
- Stimulating the activity of the prostaglandins produced by the endothelial cells, helping to relax and dilate the arteries.
Who can benefit from taking Omega-3?
There are many pathologies or situations that can improve thanks to taking Omega-3. Here you have a list with the main ones!
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Rheumatic diseases
- Joint pain and osteoarthritis
- Eczema, psoriasis, dry skin and itchiness
- Huntington disease
- Pregnancy and lactation
- Concentration problems
- Bipolar disorders
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Bowel inflammatory disease
- Obesity (Omega-3 to lose weight)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Raynaud syndrome
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Type II diabetes
- To prevent arteriosclerosis, hypertension and dementia
What are its effects on the sport performance?
It is becoming more and more common to take Omega-3 supplementation in sports. A good dietary planning will definitely improve your performance, specially to balance the insulin levels. This hormone is in charge of many inflammatory processes, regulating the appetite and storing body fat.
What are the objectives of Omega-3 supplement in sport?
- Increasing the strength and aerobic performance
- Relieving the joint inflammation and reduce the number of injuries
- Improving the oxidative response
- Improving the lung capacity and cell oxygenation
- Sharpening the focus and improving the reflexes
- Shortening our reactions to stimuli
Omega-3 has many benefits for our health. Either if you do exercise or not, including it in your diet will definitely improve your well-being thanks to its incredible properties.
If you enjoyed the content from this article, keep reading…
- Do you want to lose weight with Omega-3? More info here
- Read more about all the false rumors surrounding Omega-3
- Its anabolic potential – keep reading