Are you looking for a supplementation protocol that will help you improve your athletic performance? Combining Beta-Alanine and Creatine is the best way to improve your physical resistance and increase the muscle growth. We tell you all the details below!
A first approachCreatine is the most popular supplement in the world of sport nutrition. You have probably heard about all its benefits (click here). For example, how it helps to increase the muscle mass, strength and energy during demanding workouts.
On the other hand, beta-alanine is a natural product that increases the intramuscular carnosine levels. Consequently, it helps to increase the explosive strength and power, muscle mass and resistance.
Studies that support this combo
In this section, we will briefly mention the results of two studies that supports the synergistic combination of both substances:
The first study was conducted by J. Hoffman in 2006 to asses the efficacy of Creatine + Beta-Alanine supplementation. It involved two types of test:
- Strength: it measured the repetition maximum (RM) both in Bench Press and Squats.
- Power: the Wingate test (anaerobic power) and Vertical Jump test.
The second study was conducted by Zoeller RF, Stout JR, JA O’kroy, DJ Torok and Mielke M in 2006. Above all, they analyzed the benefits of taking Creatine + Beta-Alanine supplementation for 28 days in 55 subjects. To do so, they measured the aerobic power, lactate thresholds, VO2Max and exhaustion.
Why use Creatine and Beta-Alanine?
Do you feel as if you had reached a point of stagnation? You are not the only one. In fact, this is something that happens to most athletes at some point in their lives.
Our advice is to make a good planning, alternating periods of higher and lower intensity.
Do you want to achieve the highest performance during a highly demanding mesocycle? Then, using Creatine + Beta-Alanine supplementation will surely help you improve.
To sum up, we can conclude that:
- Beta-Alanine increases the in-muscle carnosine levels, working as a precursor. In addition, it reduces the acidification that occurs in the blood when we do high intensity physical exercise. In these situations, the pH of the blood tends to drop, affecting the performance to the point that sometimes we will need to stop. Beta-Alanine will therefore act as a buffer, that is, a mechanism that will quickly excrete the lactate, releasing the muscle tissues.
- On the other hand, creatine saturates the ATP deposits, which is the main source of energy during high intensity exercise. Said activities have intervals where there is a maximum muscle contraction, followed by its relaxation, and then this sequence is repeated again. It is necessary to resynthesize this energy substrate between each sequence in order to keep up the intensity. If our reserves are full, the recovery will be faster and more effective.
Better Physical Performance
The explanation for this effect may be due to the fact that the body uses beta-alanine and histidine make a type of “buffer of the skeletal muscle” called carnosine. This element is also sold as a supplement.
Who has the highest carnosine levels? Those who perform high intensity activities such as sprints or bodybuilding, while endurance athletes have less. According to this, carnosine will help to improve the performance by buffering the acidosis.
By buffering the acidosis, beta-alanine can decrease the muscle fatigue and increase the number of repetitions with the same weight. Therefore, we can conclude that beta-alanine is an effective creatine “enhancer”, which increases the resistance, strength, fat loss and muscle gains.
How to combine Beta-Alanine and Creatine
The effects of this type of supplementation increase with the passing of time. Therefore, you can do a beta-alanine loading phase for two weeks before starting the creatine cycle. Creatine is normally used from 4 to 12 weeks. You may not need to do a beta-alanine loading phase if the creatine cycle is going to be longer than that.
It is also worth mentioning that the benefits of beta-alanine supplementation will disappear at the end of the cycle. The carnosine levels will go back to normal progressively. That is why you will experience a considerable drop in your performance.
Benefits of this outstanding combo
There are many benefits associated with this incredible combo. Let’s mention the most important ones!
- Improving the athletic performance
- Increasing the strength
- Delaying the onset of fatigue
- Stimulating the growth of muscle mass
- Improving the resistance
- Increasing the amount of volume of work in each workout
It works better in cycles
Here you have a summary of how to take Creatine + Beta-Alanine (more info here). In general, we suggest doing a cycle of 12 weeks at most for both supplements.
- Beta-alanine: Take 800-1200mg every 4 hours approximately. The goal is to take from 4 to 6g/day.
- Take between 20 and 30g of creatine a day during a loading phase (5-7 days). Then, take 5-10 grams a day during the maintenance phase (3-4 weeks). It is best if you take the dose half an hour before the workout and again after the workout.
Do you want better results? Then, start taking taurine too during and after the beta-alanine and creatine cycle. Actually, this is important because beta-alanine supplementation can deplete the taurine levels.
Next time you do a creatine cycle, try adding beta-alanine. Both supplements are quite affordable and provide incredible results.
Where can I buy these supplements?
You can buy high quality Beta-Alanine and Creatine in HSN.
- Find out more about the types of creatine and their effects
- Myostatin and creatine, all the information
- Liquid format, read more
- Learn more about the myths surrounding this supplement
- Click here and find out its potential side effects
- Here is everything you need to know about its natural sources
- Click on the link about Kre-Alkalyn Creatine
- Read more: Ethyl Ester
- All the secrets about creatine – https://www.hsnstore.eu/blog/creatine/how-to-take/
- Keep reading about the functions of creatine
- Combination with Glutamine – more info